Saturday 27 December 2014

Adieu, 2014

It was a week ago while traveling through the cantt area an intriguing scene caught my eyes and remained in my mind for the rest of the day. It was a silhouette of crowns of smoke embossed at the amber canvas of evening sky. Rising from behind the bushes, trying to reach up, almost touching the burning sun. To grab and bring back what's been lost. So close... You think you could reach out and easily touch it; only to realize the elusive nature of the whole scenario. Each cloud of smoke would follow in the same trail of its preceding cloud, and eventually disappear into thin air. It is only if you discern the turn that they appeared separate, else to begin with, they were one... How I'd wanted to paint the scene on a real canvas if only my artistic abilities were limitless. It was simple, but the symbolism was striking. It's crazy how every year life brings us back to where we'd begun from a year ago. Simple little things that meant so much, but are no more. Amazing how your world can take a complete turn within a matter of three sixty five days.
This is the first when I don't know what my End Year's post must look like. This is the first when I have no coherent reflections on the year that's gone and absolutely nothing to look forward to from the year that's right around the corner. Winter has made itself comfortable. Cold fingers, frozen toes, and a numb heart. 2014 was the year I was at my most vulnerable. I lost my way over the course. It is so easy to lose your way, don't you think? One moment you are here, strolling through a lane you have so fondly built, so sure of where you're heading; but then the paths suddenly change and it is no longer the place you used to know. You are sighing in the quietest of nights, groping in the dark, trying to find a way. A way back. A way forward. But there's nothing anymore.

2014 was the most decisive year of my life. I completed my three year Honors program. Yep. I am finally a graduate. When I had entered university I thought it would be one hell of a journey. I wouldn't make it. But it's crazy, how we go out among total strangers, and little by little, we discover them. How they are, how they think, what they like, what interests them, what irritates them. And before we could realize, they become an integral part of our lives. Life is like that in many ways; only a lot more complicated. But of university, I made it. After three years of assignment pressures and exam anxiety, of early morning classes and boring Linguistic lectures, of hilarious laughter and countless tears, of petty arguments and heartwarming smiles, I finally made it.

In another news, my treatment finally ended. No more follow ups, no more medicines, no more hospitals. I feel... Free. Literally. November was the last time I had to go for a follow up. My fever lasted almost for more than a week and I thought here I go again. But thankfully, that was it. I cant believe I wouldn't have to take any more medicines. Not that I was punctual with them anyway, but yeah. It's only sad that my hair is now falling like crazy 'cause of the fever and antibiotics. I remember how I had given a million excuses last year just to avoid a damn blood test. Little did I know, that right ahead a whole series of pathetic blood tests awaits me. And this time I wouldn't have no excuse. Now that I think of it, I realize how I had spent a substantial part of my year in a hospital. The nurses and even the receptionist would recognize me, and it wasn't even funny.


I also, after much delay, at last winded up Euphoria. Winding up Euphoria meant bidding final farewell to a memory I was so scared to let go. I might also post a final epilogue, but that would be later. It's like my mind keeps suggesting ways of holding on to it, in whatever subtle way I could. I knew it had to end. There was nothing left of it, but the thought of putting an end to it was daunting. What would I hold on to once Euphoria is practically gone? It used to provide me a chance to revisit a sweet agonizing memory every once in a while. But I guess this is it. Would be throwing out the fifth part probably in a couple of days. 2014 took away my Euphoria which had begun a year ago. I entered this year with so many people. Not knowing that by the end I'd have to leave a few behind. My only regret is that I didn't even get to say goodbye and the last link was broken. And then it settled in... Isn't it insane, how things we haven't thought of since quite some time still have the ability to make us cry?

There are events in my past which look grander in my head than they really were. Fragments of childhood memories, school days, family time. And I didn't even notice when they were happening. But there are also certain events, which I knew were already so grand while they were happening. And I savored every moment. I always knew there is a consequence for every action, and you have to deal with it. But if 2014 taught me something, it was that sometimes you have to bear consequences even for someone else's actions. 2014 taught me that there aren't many sure things in life. I was living in a lie all this time. You know how you are mostly numb but then every once a while a wave of realization hits you and you know it's real. You know it deep inside your chest. In the pit of your stomach. From the crown of your head to the tips of your fingers, you know that it was real and it happened. And you've got to face it. I knew it's hard for people to accept their mistakes, and keeping myself in there I understand how it is like. It's natural to be scared and make mistakes; but you don't get to blame others for that. But people... Well. People will disappoint you. People you stood up for will not necessarily stand for you. People you defended all the while they were absent, will not necessarily acknowledge it. People will walk out on you having you believe that it was something you had done. It is plain silliness to even draw a limit and think people wouldn't go beyond that. Accusations, lies, blue, green, more lies, and what not. Just to save their faces. How I had believed in everything I was told. It's bizarre. It totally is. I also learned that all those sayings and maxims I grew up listening to, were actually very true. You can invest all your faith in someone; but when the time would come... It will all be ruthlessly disregarded. There is a reason why your elders claim to know better. Because they do know better. 2014 also taught me that time unravels everything. Everything. It is all to time that different instances, little by little, came to make connection all by themselves at the most unexpected places and then it all made sense. Only my reaction was late. I took time to completely register it. And then came a slow, melting realization... There was one of Imam Ali's quotes which I'd often come across. I never truly understood what it meant until now. Now, I don't know where the limits are anymore. I cannot differentiate lie from truth and truth from lie. I was denied the right to truth. I was denied my right to decide for myself. I have had ample occasions to think how life would have been had the nature of my choices was slightly different. But, I don't. Because despite everything, and contrary to what many around me believe, I don't regret my choices. See when you make a choice, you ought to stay by it. Your choices and how you deal with their consequences define you. Because dreary times come, and that is when you are being tested. I was tested. And while taking that test, I discovered So. Much. So much of myself, and so much of my life. In the silence and even in false projections, I learned one thing: that which requires you to explain yourself all the time, isn't worth it. I also learned that it is insanely easy to stay by choices you make by will; regardless of what people mumble. Because sure, people talk, but do they say anything? Hardly. I made a decision of which I was perfectly sure. And despite how momentarily I was let to live the feeling, it was beautiful. It was mine and it was true as long as it lasted. And I cannot let anyone take that away from me by repeatedly telling me that I was the one at fault.

In a more cheerful news, I dreamt my first dream after almost eleven months! (doesn't sound like a big deal, isn't it? Well, shut up. It is). A series of images after months of darkness. It does not matter what it contained. I kind of already knew what I was likely to dream of, if ever I dreamt again, the good part was totally in the fact that I dreamt again. And although it reflected images from my recent past, for once I had a sound sleep. No more falling out of slumber anymore. The same images continued for a certain period, but then it started changing. I don't remember my dreams as clearly now as I used to, but I somehow do manage to recollect enough details. And it has, thankfully, gotten regular now. I had completely forgotten what it is like waking up from a continuous, unbroken sleep. It is true that time happens to heal almost about every wound; but it cannot alter certain feelings or remove certain memories. It can only conceal. I cannot remove from my memory the three-month long period of wait I had to go through. And so, this year I learned, that there is nothing more tormenting than the act of waiting. The worst you can do to damage someone is to inflict upon them an unconditional wait. I was damaged deeply, but then I found my cure. In  Dua-e-Kumayl. It has healing powers. Literally. It brings you right before God and you realize how all that world's 'glitter' is nothing more than a dupe. It makes you realize how insignificant we, the humans, are. And that there is a Source who can exempt you off all afflictions. I may not be very religious, but I am very proper in terms of knowing who I am and where I am from. Hence, with that, I learned that it gets a lot easier to deal with the dreariness once you make God your witness.

A year ago I had a perfect picture of today and the days to come. Today? Nothing in particular. I had imagined two severe possibilities in my head when 2014 had begun. I knew this year will change my life. Either it will take me where I want to be, or it will take me where I ought to be. Right now I have two jobs in hand and a decision made. A week ago, I had none. It's ironical how the flames we particularly want to avoid in life are often the flames we eventually end up dealing with. I got a call from two places for work to which I had very randomly applied to. I never planned on working. But well. I have, however, decided something else: to continue my studies and begin with my Masters program. The story of this decision is an interesting one. It was a year ago when I had confidently announced that I wouldn't be coming back for Masters, entirely because I had my priorities sorted. I had given up my plan of studying further because I thought someone needs me more, and it can't wait. Or so I was told. I was reading into someone else's words. I wouldn't have to come back for Masters. But what do you know, here I am, setting about for my Masters in Literature. It's funny how life works out sometimes. Really.

Wouldn't it have been great, if every new year would've provided us with a blank memory like a fresh new page? No previous stains. Nothing. Like how a friend said, "new year, new beginning". Sigh. I wish it was that easy. You were tough, 2014. I will remember you. I can picture myself standing at my old terrace, on New Year's eve, sending up my earnest prayer and excited to begin with this year. It feels like yesterday. I don't know where did the time go. But I am not going to rant about that. Although this wasn't so much of a good year for me, I am still thankful, for a plenty of better reasons. We moved to our new house. Family members reunited. Friends separated years ago came back together. I thoroughly experienced the transition in life. So of 2014? Amen to fate's design. Amen to friends who didn't give up on me and family, which was ever so understanding. Amen to life. And amen, to the guidance Lights provided me with. The Lights accepted the inherent meaning of my prayer that night, even before I could even understand it myself. I learned only later. Only now. And of 2015? I am not sure what's ahead, and for the first time, I am not concerned. But nnew year eve wishes this time. For a change. I will just be. I am no butterflies and unicorns right now. But I am OK. In fact, quite at peace. It feels like I have come a long way. So here, a very happy new year to all the beautiful, genuine people. And Eid-e-Zehra mubarak! I don't think there could be anything better than entering the new year celebrating such an auspicious occasion.


Adieu, 2014. Adieu...

1 comment:

  1. You are my favorite future novelist <3
    Very coherently and perfectly described the whole year :)
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for honoring my words with your time. :)